In Portland, a 16-year-old boy is in critical condition after he was struck by two cars on Interstate 5 on Sunday. The teen pedestrian had just left the Rose Garden where he had been watching the Portland Trail Blazers play against the San Antonio Spurs.
The boy is being treated at Legacy Emanuel Hospital. Portland police are investigating the cause of the fatal Oregon pedestrian accident. They think he may have been trying to cross the freeway. One vehicle reportedly hit the boy before he was hit by another car.
Both motorists stopped at the Portland, Oregon traffic accident scene and spoke to local authorities. One woman who had also been watching the basketball game says the boy is not the only one that had been trying to cross Interstate 5.
Oregon Pedestrian Accidents
It is important that pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists take steps to prevent pedestrian accidents from happening. Whenever there is a traffic accident involving a pedestrian, he or she is the one most prone to serious injuries.
The Web site PedestrianSafety.com talks about a list of scenarios on the road that can lead to Portland traffic accidents and resulting pedestrian injuries and deaths:
• A motor vehicle turns into a pedestrian’s path.
• A pedestrian runs onto the street.
• A pedestrian crosses the street in the middle of the road.
• A bus may be obstructing another motorist’s view, making it difficult to see that there is a pedestrian behind a large vehicle unless the driver or motorcyclist is paying close attention.
To prevent pedestrian accidents, a Safety and Consumer Protection Web site advises:
• Yield the right of way to pedestrians whether or not there is a walk signal or pedestrian lane if they have already started crossing the street.
• Do not overtake or try to pass a vehicle that is stopped at an intersection.
Teen Struck By Car After Leaving Rose Garden, Fox 12 Oregon, March 1, 2009
Rules and pointers for pedestrians and drivers, Safety & Consumer Protection
Related Web Resources:
Bicycle & Pedestrian Program, Oregon.gov
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Please contact Portland Pedestrian Accident Attorney Matt Kaplan to discuss your Oregon Traffic Accident case. Mr. Kaplan is an experienced Portland personal injury lawyer who represents minors and adults throughout Oregon.